Finding a supplier:
There are a number of options as far as finding a Chinese supplier is concerned. We will lay out and break down the basics below:
Use the internet – Websites such as “Alibaba” and “Made in China” are not ideal but are not the worst of places to begin. As a rule of thumb, only contact suppliers that have a gold status rating as well as third party verification. This will not only reduce the risk of fraudulent mishaps but in most cases is a sign of a serious, well geared and quality supplier [there are of course exceptions]
Visit your supplier – Depending on the value of your intended import, you may want to fly out to your supplier or suppliers, once you have drawn up a short list. This is never a bad idea, provided the value of your intended import warrants such a trip. Also, remember to use your trip wisely and visit as many as possible.
Visit a fair – Many of our clients will contact us after attending a Chinese trade fair. Although most often rather costly, this can be a great way to locate suppliers as well as generate import opportunity ideas.
Dealing with your supplier:
- Always be very clear as to what you are looking for. Should a certain standard apply, let them know this upfront.
- Use as simple language as possible.
- Ask all of your questions at once – do not waste your or the suppliers time with countless emails too and fro.
- Indicate you order quantities upfront. Most Chinese suppliers / manufactures will have minimum order quantities.
- If minimum order quantities are too high, ask if they can refer you to a wholesaler of their products.
- Always state that you are contacting them from South Africa.
- Always ask for two separate prices [EXW and FOB] – this is important as it will affect your import costs.
- Always ask for the packaging sizes and dimensions – without this it is impossible to calculate any freight and land side charges.
- As a rule, do not ask for delivery to SA, this is invariably quoted incorrectly and will cost you more in the long run.
- Once you have completed the above steps it is time to submit a fast quote form – contact MALBE
Connect With UsUse the support tab, on the left of your screen | Use the chat feature | Use the Forum | Call us: +27 (0)87 550 8469